Sunday, September 23, 2007

It's Official

Working in retail fucking blows. I never know what my schedule is going to be for a given week until the Friday or Saturday immediately preceding it, depending whether or not I work on Friday, I'm routinely expected to perform tasks I've never done with a minimum of training, and no supervision, my dad and his wife came down this weekend, and I MISSED most of their trip because I had to work both days. Of course, my dad didn't let me know for sure he was going to be here until Thursday, so I couldn't be sure to take the day off, but it doesn't matter, because they'd likely have scheduled me anyway.
Ordinarily seeing too much of my dad and his wife gets to be a little awkward. I mean I like them both, but we just don't seem to have much to talk about a lot of the time, but she's started taking guitar lessons (I should say a class, as lessons sort of implies one on one personal attention... there are apparently about 60 other people in with her) but it means that we have something in common, so I was looking forward to having another strummer around, even if she is just starting out. I did get to talk to her about it for about a half hour before going to work this morning.

I rode my bike out to a park in Los Gatos too, recently, and just spent the afternoon reading. That was pretty nice. I haven't done that in entirely too long. And I hadn't been near a nice large kind of park area in a while either. I think all these tiny little neighborhood parks are nice, but really kind of depressing. It's hard to feel like your surrounded by nature when there's a giant intersection 50 yards away with a huge shopping center just across it.

Anyway, I'm looking for work AGAIN, which also sucks.

3 comments:

cherreh said...

Try not to think of it that way...

...but I know, I know ~ looking for employment really steals from the soul; makes us doubt ourselves every time we apply for something and don't get it. And interacting with people you don't know is kinda scary sometimes when you know they're assessing every word you say.

Not having a routine kinda makes the days weirdly run into each other, too.

But go out there believing in what you're worth every step of the way. And don't just go for stuff that is on a par with what you're doing now. Move on up! You're so much better than retail, for goodness' sake.

If you were in Sydney I'd get you some gigs for some fast cash. But no. Again. :(

The Diet Coke of Evil said...

You know what bugs me the most about looking for a job? It just seems like you can't do ANYTHING these days without hiring a fucking expert. You've got to hire somebody to write your resume, because if you don't the other guy who did will get the job, then you've got to hire somebody to give your resume to so they can figure out which job you fit with... I know nepotism is supposed to be a bad thing, but I think there was something to be said for your family bringing you into their business and showing you the ropes. That's become almost impossible these days.

I'm TOTALLY not ready for gigs. I know a guy up in Portland though, who's trying to help me find a job up there. I guess he has contacts at Robert Half technology. He's got a band he wants me to get involved in, if that works out, so that's cool. I might actually be in a performing band before too long. I hope they don't mind if I suck.

cherreh said...

Don't go into it telling yourself that or you'll never go into it.
:)